Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Food Storage????????

Ok, the Church talks about food storage a lot and how we need to be prepared. Well I have decided to try to get some food storage together, since groceries are going up in price and on the Today show today they said that to expect gas and food prices to skyrocket this summer. So I have no idea where to start on this whole idea of food storage so I started doing some research on the internet and came across this site. It has calculators to figure out how much of everything you will need. I am not sure if this is where I should start but I thought I would pass along the link. It's not a church website so take the content at face value, I haven't read it all, but the food storage link is pretty neat.

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

It gives you numbers for things like wheat, flour, corn meal etc. I am not sure this is were I need to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Not a whole lot of advice from me...other than make sure to stock up on Mayonnaise...you'll need it for those long cold Texas winters.

Rachel said...

One good piece of advice my mom gave me is to only store food that you already use regularly. Everything goes bad eventually, so you want stuff that you can cycle through with your regular groceries. So like, if you never use rice, don't get a year's supply of it.