Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Baby Bedding

My parents are coming out in 2 weeks and we are going to spend the time they are to paint. I already know what I want to do for Bradley's room and I want to get the new baby's room painted too. So with that in mind I have started looking at crib bedding. I am amazed at the selection, but cannot find anything I really like and want to spend the kind of money on. I am amazed at how much sets are. Bradley didn't have a set of bedding, I just used solid color stuff and a blanket I had for him. I did end up buying Bradley a small set once we turned his crib into a toddler bed, but I really want to have a set for this baby. So I am thinking I might attempt to make something. My sewing skills are minimum at best, but I know I can sew a straight line and I know I can find fabric I like. Here is a picture of what I want to make. It is a quilt and is probably way to much for me to try to take on, but I am up for a challenge and know there are people that would answer my questions. I even found a company in Azle that does the actual quilting part by a big computer machine. So I figure I can sew everything together and then let them do what seems like the hard part.


We are not using the name Kirsten but this is what I like. I would do different colors than this, but I really like the way it looks.

For those of you that are really good at things like this, does seem like it would be too much of a project?

6 comments:

nikko said...

That type of quilt would be pretty easy -- just strips of fabric and a border. Especially if you're going to have someone quilt it for you.

I've never made sheets, but I hear they're easy (or you could just get solid matching colors) and I have made a dust ruffle/bed skirt for a crib. Not much to it.

Not sure what colors you want, but I can point you to some online fabric stores that sell some nice stuff -- better than Joann's. ;o) Try

http://www.sewmamasew.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5757671

http://www.reprodepot.com/fabrics.html

Yay! Good luck!

K said...

Thanks for the advice. I have kept looking but am just not sold on anything yet and if I am going to spend a small fortune I really want to like it. Thanks for the online fabric shops.

Holly said...

you might be surprised by how much you spend in the end on fabric, supplies, paying to have it quilted, yadda yadda, and your time is worth something. At least see what the difference would be. but its always cool to have something you made that your proud of. I would practice on something that isnt dear to your heart first. Let me know if you need help I'm not a fantastic seamstress but I've found that I pretty resourceful if nothing else! Good Luck!

Cherie said...

I love that quilt Katy and I totally think you could do it. Good luck with everything and I can't wait to see how it turns out! What colors are you thinking about using?

ashley marie said...

I love anna maria horner and amy butler. You can't go wrong with any of their fabrics. You can buy a lot of good fabrics in a high quantity on eBay. Check it out!!

I have a good life said...

That is the cutest thing EVER! Good luck!